Burning Books

Burning Books
Image Courtesy of The Good Atheist

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Recent exhibitions relating to banned books


http://arts.monash.edu.au/ecps/conferences/deprave-and-corrupt/


While research banned books in Australia,  I came across this book titled "The little red school book" that caused alot of controversy in the early 1970's, this one book got the entire Australian population up in arms.

http://www.guba.com/watch/3000095780/The-Book-That-Shook-The-World
Video

http://nla.gov.au/nla.aus-vn4512714
Digital copy of “The little red school book”
Hansen, Soren. The little red school book [electronic resource]. [by] Soren Hansen and Jesper Jenson ; Translated from Danish by Berit Thornberry, 1973.

By watching the video and looking at the content of the book, I can see that if this book was to be published now it wouldn't even get a mention in a newspaper or news broadcast. Most student run newspapers cover the type of topics that appear in "The little red school book" and these are widely accepted and not a all controversial.
Apparently the current Australian classification act:
"Classification (Publications, Films and Computer Games) Act 1995"
Will restrict any publication/film or computer game if it "advocates terrorist acts"
http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/0/0C5B4BE98AF769E1CA25775F007C2EA7?OpenDocument

 Reflection time:

As I dig deeper into my chosen topics I find more and more information and links that take me to information I had no knowledge of before I started this. I 'm just now feeling overwhelmed by what I thought was a straight forward topic. I keep getting caught up each time I research in what seems a small alley that opens up into an ocean of information, that drowns me and so thoroughly absorbs me that I find it hard to put together a small amount of what I find here on this blog to present to you.  I can only hope that my content so far is interesting and ina somewhat logical progression, if not please comment :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Miranda. You've made a good start but it's time to start organising your information in a more structured way. Each blog post should include your research findings for that week, all resources consulted and correctly referenced (Harvard style) and finally a reflection on your research process or strategy (you're doing this part well). It's important to start gathering all of your research findings in preparation for the final presentation page of your blog.

    In terms of the design elements you need to include hyperlinks to any electronic resources/webpages (and this includes links to the source pages of any images used) and a listing of your fellow student blogs.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the site is good for customer satisfaction. One of my friends said your site better is other websites Read More....

    ReplyDelete